Collaborative Hypertext of Radiology
pineal gland calcification
see: physiological intracranial calcifications
- visible on plain skull film (33-76% in adults)
- seen more frequently on CT
- rare in kids < 6 y.o. (presence suggests neoplasm)
- usually in the form of a cluster of amorphous, irregular densities
- may be solitary
- the size of calcification: usually 3-5 mm
- if greater than 1 cm, suspect pinealoma, AV malformation, etc.
Yong H. Hahn, MD - 2 February 1995
Last updated: 1 October 2013
Copyright © 2013, Charles E. Kahn, Jr.