Collaborative Hypertext of Radiology
progressive obstructive/occlusive cerebral arteritis
- affecting distal ICA
at bifurcation into its branches (ant. 2/3 of circle of Willis)
- usually involving both hemispheres
- etiology: unknown
- age: predominantly in children and young adults.
- behavioral disturbances
- recurrent hemiparetic attacks
- large network of vessels in BG (puff of smoke) and upper
brainstem fed by
- basilar a.
- MCA (dilatation of lenticulo-striates and ant. choroidal a.)
- anastomosis between leptomeningeal and dural meningeal arteries
complication: subarachnoid hemorrhage (occasionally)
Jon T. Lee, MD - 6 February 1995
Last updated: 1 October 2013
Copyright © 2013, Charles E. Kahn, Jr.